Tuesday, January 7, 2014

First day of nursery school.

Linna waiting at the bus stop on her first
day of nursery school. I take her on the
city bus for  pick-up and drop-off.
Today was a big day, as Linna started nursery school at a local school here in Singapore. I am emotionally drained.

When we signed Linna up for this school's nursery program, I was thrilled that I would have three "free" hours, five days a week. But now that her first day of school had finally arrived, I was having a tough time "cutting the cord". Linna loved this school when we initially checked it out late last year, and all the teachers are wonderful with her. We went to pick up her school uniforms yesterday, and Linna was really upset that she didn't get to stay to play. So, when we left for her first day of school this morning, she was SO excited!

She goes to school from 11:30 a.m. - 2:45 p.m. We chose the afternoon session because Linna likes to sleep in until 9 a.m. or so, and I hate feeling rushed in the morning (the school's morning session is 8:30 a.m.). Linna also naps for three hours in the afternoon, and we let her stay up until 9:30 p.m. or so, because Papa Saigh doesn't get home from work until 7:30 p.m. or later. Judge us if you will on our late bed time, but this works for us.

Tears were shed throughout the school day by our little lady. It started right away when we got there, because the students gather in a large room for assembly that isn't in the classroom area. I think Linna was expecting to go directly to the classroom area, so she was a little peeved. The students have their temperature taken, hands and mouth checked for spots (yes, they are very hygienic in Singapore), and sing songs in Mandarin during the 15-minute assembly. Then they all head downstairs to the classroom area. There are only FIVE kiddos in Linna's class (YES!). There's an English teacher, a Mandarin teacher, and assistant to help out in her classroom. The afternoon class session must not be very "in demand", which worked in our favor. I hovered nearby (did you expect anything different?!), and watched as Linna played with her teachers and classmates. She was absolutely content and happy while she played... but then the tears started. She saw me... ran to me and... wait for it... asked me to "rock her".

I die.

The teachers then led the kids into the classroom for lunch and more playtime. I decided to stay outside the classroom and watch from the window. This proved to be VERY difficult.

(Linna exiting her first day of school. Not sure why the tears started,
but she slept HARD for three hours when we got home!)
Putting on her shoes all by herself!
Playing with her school principal Mrs. Loy, and classmate Aliss.
Temperature-taking during assembly.

Not a fan of the school uniforms in general. They only had a size 3/4,
and Linna is JUST a size 2. I had to hand stitch her hem, as her
shorts/skirt looked like a full-length gown. Yes, the thread doesn't
match the color of her uniform. Eh, whateves.

Spying on Bug from outside her classroom window.

Linna was SCREAMING for me, as her teacher tried to calm her down. She's still jet-lagged from our trip four days ago from the US, so she was understandably exhausted and overwhelmed. It took every fiber of my being to not walk into the classroom, scoop her up, and cuddle her. But again... it's time to cut the cord. She cried for a good 15 minutes, but then her teacher brought out the bubbles and Linna cheered right up! She was calm with no tears for an entire hour, so I decided to run to the store to grab some things for dinner. When I got back, Linna was still happy as can be. Then came the school dismissal bell.

Dun dun dun...

The moms and I (four of us stayed the entire time, and one mom left right away) waited outside for our little ones to come out. Then, we heard the tears starting. It was my kid. I don't know if she was just mad that she had to leave, started to miss her mama, or if she was just tired, but there were tears from Linna and another classmate at the end of the day. To be fair, ALL of the kids cried at least once today. Yes, I was watching... and judging.

Checking out the toys.

Papa Saigh came to see Linna on her first day of nursery school!

Linna, her classmate Ryan, and Mrs. Chng
during morning assembly.
Overall, today was a roller-coaster of emotions for Mama Saigh. I LOVED that Papa Saigh surprised us by leaving work for a bit, just so he could see his little lady at her first day of school. I just can't believe our baby is going to nursery school already. I know it's going to be SO great for her, and I am going to enjoy the "free" time, but it's still hard to let go. Papa Saigh isn't helping by telling me that Linna needs to "grow up". Jerk.

Love you, Papa Saigh.

Let's see what's in store for day #2. One can only hope that I'll be able to take advantage of those three "free" hours...

1 comment:

  1. Dovecote Nursery
    At Dovecote the Classrooms are filled with the age appropriate furniture. There is a outdoor and indoor play area for kids and safe playground equipment.
    Beth P. Guzman
    976 Hamilton Drive
    Hanover, MD 21076
    410-236-9986
    info@ekidovecot.org

    ReplyDelete